Papaya has a very strong flavor that I have always found to mix well with milk so if you are one to enjoy a tropical papaya smoothie, then I think you will definitely enjoy the rich, creamy and distinctly tropical flavor of this ice cream.
makes approx. 1 quart
- 3 cups heavy/whipping/cooking cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 3 cups papaya puree*
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- orange food coloring if desired (can also mix red and yellow coloring)
You will also need…
- mixing bowl
- large saucepan
- fine mesh strainer
- large spoon
ice cream maker (ice and rock salt may be required depending on your ice cream maker)
*To make papaya puree, add fresh seedless fruit to a blender and blend until a smooth texture is achieved.
- Combine cream, milk, sugar, and salt in the saucepan over low heat.
- Stir mixture occasionally until bubbles begin to form around the edges of the pan. While mixture is heating up, whisk egg yolks in mixing bowl.
- Gradually and briskly whisk egg yolks into the steaming mixture until combined. Then stir constantly with a spoon.
- Remove the mixture from heat when it is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Strain mixture.
- Add papaya puree, lemon juice, and food coloring (if using) to ice cream base and chill thoroughly.
- Process mixture in ice cream maker.
- Place finished ice cream in a freezer-safe container and freeze or serve immediately for a soft-serve consistency.